Saturday, July 21, 2007

Worming a Rabbit

As some of you know Mark (my dear friend/brother from Finland) is in the US visiting with us for a month!! We've been having a blast.

Today in fact, we both did something we've never, ever considered doing before. We wormed a rabbit. Yes. A rabbit...

See. My Hellhound was out in the field, hunting, as Mark and I plotted away by the picnic table. Then, we see that the said Hellhound had actually caught something! A bunny to be precise. We saved it, I cleaned it up from Hellhound slobber and realized he (the bunny) was bleeding and it smelled awful. Worse than regular rabbit blood (no, I'm not going to say he was Bunnicula) Turns out he was somehow injured in the foot and maggoty worms infested it. GROSS!

Sooo to make a long story short, Mark and I spent the eve cleaning up the bunny's foot (we call him Herbert now) and pulling maggots out of its wound with tweezers. It was...interesting...I'm happy to say though, that Herbert is doing fine and he hasn't bit me yet...yet. If he did I wonder if I'd become a Bunicula too...or perhaps a weremaggot!

2 Comments:

Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Woah...what's with us authors and the bunnies? (Nigel's been blogging about the bunny situation in my yard.)

A) I can't believe Herbert survived the experience with the doggie.
B) Kudos to you for getting the bunny cleaned up.
C) I can't believe Herbert didn't sink his teeth into you. Wasn't he scared? Big dog grabs him with its teeth; big humans mess with his foot for a long time...this does not equal a good day in Bunnydom.

Sandy L.
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

Sat Jul 21, 07:34:00 PM  
Blogger Raven Bower said...

Poor Nigel, being over-run by Bunnies!!!

It's a catch 22 with the biting thing. I don't use gloves when handling wildlife which makes them bite less for some odd reason. When I used gloves they bit all the time. Weird. Now they bite less but when they do bite...ouch...They draw blood.

We released Herbert once his leg was healed...and ran into him again last night. Poor fellow. He was traumatized by the Hellhound again.

Mon Jul 23, 09:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home